Health & Safety Policy Statement
This is the statement of general policy and arrangements for Beckenham Theatre Centre Ltd (‘the Theatre’)
The Theatre’s voluntary Board of up to 16 Trustees has collective responsibility for the health and safety of members and guests, as well as ensuring the working risk assessment document is observed, understood and revised as required. Because the Theatre has no paid employees, it is exempt from preparing a standard ‘health and safety at work’ document.
However, for the benefit of members and guests, its policy states that:
- A full risk assessment will be completed prior to each production and actions arising out of those assessments implemented. (Risk assessments reviewed when working habits or conditions change.)
- The director and/or stage manager for each production will be given the necessary health and safety induction and provided with appropriate training to produce a show at the Theatre which is safe for performers, backstage crew and audience members.
- Escape routes will be well signed and kept clear at all times. Evacuation plans are tested from time to time and updated as necessary.
- Systems will be in place for routine inspections and testing of equipment and machinery and for ensuring that action is promptly taken to address any defects.
- After each production, directors and stage managers will be routinely consulted by a member of the Board of Trustees, on health and safety matters in a review.
Public Risk Assessment Form
The Public Risk Assessment Form is a live document, subject to continuous review and shall be completed by a member of the Board of Trustees prior to each production, as stipulated in the general policy (above).
Download Public Risk Assessment Form
The following documents constitute further advice relevant to performances, from the UK Health & Safety Executive (HSE):
- Health and Safety guidance: use of weapons onstage
- Health and Safety guidance: use of smoke in performance
- Health and Safety guidance: set building
- Health and Safety guidance: fight scenes in performance
- Health and Safety guidance: entertainers working at height
- Health and Safety guidance: electrical safety for entertainers